You’re the CEO, COO, CMO, or other C-suite executive at a Fortune 500 firm. You’ve already had a successful career, but there’s more to come. You’re well known at your company, and perhaps within your industry, but you have experience, knowledge, and insights you want to share with a wider audience. You know that spreading your message will be good for your company, your career, and those who listen to you. You’ve seen others do it, like the CMOs on the recently published Forbes report The World’s Most Influential CMOs 2017, or other executives like Sheryl Sandberg, Richard Branson, Bill Gates, and Mark Cuban. You’ve seen the influence these entrepreneurs and executives have, and the attention it brings to them and their companies. You want that kind of influence, and the benefits you know will come with it. The Forbes report says influence is the new KPI:
Influence enables an effective CMO to win support for initiatives inside a company. Influence helps a CMO reach customers, impress shareholders, and deliver ever-stronger brand performance. Influence is how a CMO shapes the marketing conversation as a whole.
It’s the same for other executives. Influence is power–the power to make the world a better place, and there’s a formula for getting it. I’ve worked to study, develop, and refine that formula since I started experimenting with blogging in 2001. Over the years I studied the experts in thought leadership, marketing, and PR. Through trial and error I grew my personal brand. Here are some of the milestones and results from the past few years:
- Over 300 mentions in publications like Forbes, Inc., Fortune, CMO.com, Fast Company, and Time.
- Appearances on national and international TV and radio.
- Speaking engagements worldwide.
- A book deal.
- Opportunities to network with top executives and other influencers.
- Millions in revenue for my marketing agency MWI, directly traceable to my thought leadership. In one case, a single article generated over $2M in revenue.
At first it took a lot of work. I cultivated a following and built a reputation not by talking about myself, but by promoting others. My book, Chief Marketing Officers at Work, features other individuals, not me. I wrote articles about successful entrepreneurs and business leaders. But as my agency’s business boomed and I did more speaking and writing–and especially after my book was published, my profile grew, and people started to write articles about me. This led to recognition like this:
- #11, People Most Mentioned and Retweeted by CMOs – Leadtail
- 8 Content Marketers to Follow in 2017 – Inc. Magazine
- 50 Inspirational Entrepreneurs to Watch in 2017 – Entrepreneur Magazine
- The Top 10 Social Marketing Influencers to Keep An Eye on in 2017 – Social Media Explorer
- 25 Marketing Influencers To Watch In 2017 – Forbes
- 8 Online Influencers in Digital Marketing To Look Out For In 2017 – The Huffington Post
- 50 Online Marketing Influencers To Watch in 2016 – Entrepreneur Magazine
- #7, Top 100 Most Influential CMOs – Richtopia (even though I’m a CEO, not a CMO, but hey, I won’t complain)
One of my favorite moments was when my book on the CMO role was named one of the 5 Best Business Books of 2016 by Success Magazine.
Soon people started to approach me and ask me if I could teach them how I did what I did, and how they could do it for themselves. They not only wanted coaching, but services. I was continually fielding questions like:
- Can you create an influencer website for me?
- Can you take care of my SEO?
- Can you help me write a book? How can I turn it into a bestseller?
- Can you help me get the right photography of myself?
- Can you set up and manage my social media profiles?
- Can you grow my email list?
- Can you edit and post my podcast episodes?
- Can you ghostwrite my articles?
- Can you create a speaker demo reel for me?
To meet this demand for coaching and services I launched Influencer Inc, through which I offer a turn-key, “influencer in a box” solution for busy executives. I work with a limited number of executives as coaching clients–never more than five at a time, who have three things:
- The means. My influencer coaching solution is expensive. It’s not the right fit for everyone.
- The motivation. If your marketing department is pushing you into this, I can’t work with you. The motivation, and the commitment, need to come from within you.
- The audience. Please don’t misunderstand, I don’t mean you need to bring an audience with you. I mean there has to be an audience out there who will be interested in what you have to say, and react to your message in a way that provide a tangible benefit to you, a 10x or greater return on your investment.
Let me emphasize this last point–if I had started my influencer journey without already having my agency, all the publicity I received wouldn’t have had anywhere to go. But because I owned a business, I was able to take that attention and turn it into revenue, giving me much more than a 10x return on my investment. Perhaps the ROI you choose to focus on won’t be revenue for your business. Maybe it will be a new career, a higher salary, or a board position. Maybe it will be the articles you write, the speeches you give, the book you publish, and the feedback you get from those you influence. However you measure the return, before we work together you will need to show me how you will turn your newfound abilities and attention into a tangible benefit to yourself or others. Otherwise, we’re just spinning our wheels.
If you’ve got the means, the motivation, and you know there is an audience out there who needs and wants your message, keep reading.
The Results You Want
If we engage and you remain committed, within 12 months you will not only be a more successful executive, you will be a globally recognized influencer inside and outside of the marketing world. In order for this to work there are parts you have to do, and there are parts I and my team will take care of. We know you’re busy. In the world of athletics the athlete is the athlete, and the coach is the coach, and the coach can’t run in place of the runner. In the influence world there is a lot we can do for you. We need your input and in some cases your approval, but you can leave much of the heavy lifting to us. We’ll overhaul your personal website and social media presence, or if they don’t exist we’ll create them. We’ll also engage in PR, social media marketing, email list building, and other related services. Here’s what you can expect to get and achieve within the first 12 months of working with me and my team:
- 10 mentions or features in major media publications so you can put an “As seen in…” section on your website.
- Consulting, ghostwriting, and editing for your articles and blog posts to draw in your audience.
- A book deal with a major publisher, ghostwriting and editing to move the process along make it a reality, and a marketing plan from an expert consultant to turn it into a best seller.
- A professionally designed influencer website set up the right way, with the right tools built into it, showing up in search engines for relevant terms, so that journalists, event organizers, publishers, readers, and others you want to connect with will view you as likable and trustworthy.
- High-end, professional photography that’ll give instant, confidence-winning validity to your website and social channels.
- A professional shot and edited speaker video on your own YouTube channel–a must-have for getting high-paying speaking gigs.
- All major social media channels set up with professional design and images and an engaged community of followers who will consume your content and spread your message.
- An ever-growing email list with 5,000+ high-quality subscribers awaiting every update you send, and clamoring for premium content and services.
- 5 interviews on prominent podcasts, giving you exposure across this hot and rapidly growing medium.
- Implementation of every system, structure, and process you need so your assistant or team can transform the notes and memos you already write into attention-grabbing, head-turning content, with no additional effort from you.
- If desired, a contributor position at Forbes, Inc., Entrepreneur, or similar publication, where you can further establish yourself as a business thought leader.
- 5 paid speaking engagements to directly pay for your investment, generate networking opportunities, and provide you with video footage and photos for further exposure.
What else do you get?
- 4 hours of monthly one-on-one coaching with me.
- Up to 4 additional hours of coaching via email or chat.
- A full-time, dedicated account manager.
- Access to a private online mastermind group that includes only myself and my other individual coaching clients.
- Up to 10 hours per month of additional influencer promotion services such as podcast editing and management, video production, content creation, or graphic design.
- Complimentary VIP access to all Influencer Inc events, including unlimited access to masterminds and exclusive, intimate gatherings with prominent influencers.
- Complimentary access to the annual Influencer Inc VIP retreat.
What would it mean to you to have a bestselling business book? What if you could get featured in top-tier publications like Forbes, Fast Company, WSJ, Inc., and Mashable? What would it mean to your career? What would it mean to your business? Could you double or triple your salary? Could you double or triple your revenue and profits? Are you ready to find out?
As noted above, I work with up to five clients at a time, and I already have clients so space is limited. The commitment is 12 months and the investment is USD $30,000 per month, with a non-refundable down payment of $60,000.
Before we can engage, we’ll have a two-hour coaching session. There is no cost to you. This is to verify that we’re the right match for each other. After this session, if we choose to work together, here are some of the steps that will follow:
At the beginning of our engagement your account manager and I meet you in the location of your choice for a full day session. We bring along a photographer and videographer and take this opportunity to shoot photos and video for use in your marketing assets. Throughout the day we get to know each other better as we talk about objectives and goals, and solidify plans.
After our initial meeting you’ll have access to a dedicated account manager whose sole job is to make everything easy for you. I’ve done in-depth interviews with over 30 executives just like you, and I know how busy you are. Your account manager’s job is to save you time and make this an easy process.
You and I will have a scheduled coaching session once every two weeks for two hours, via phone or videoconference. In between these meetings you’ll have up to 4 additional hours of access to me via email or chat. You will have access to a private online group accessible only to you, other coaching clients, and special guest experts.
If you are ready to sign up, or have further questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will respond within 24 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I want to work with you, but your prices are waaaay too expensive for me. What can we work out?
A: I have group coaching sessions and masterminds you can attend as well, and I’ll soon be launching online courses that will fit any budget. Contact me and I can tell you more about these options.
Q: None of these options quite fit what I’m looking for, can we work together on something customized?
A: Maybe. My coaching is structured a certain way in order to ensure success. But if you’re serious about becoming an influencer then contact me and we can discuss options.
Q: What if I’m not an executive? Will you work with me?
A: My experience makes me ideally suited to work with executives, but if you believe I’m the right fit for you, let’s talk.
Q: What if I’m already partly down the influencer path, is there still value in signing up for your coaching?
A: It depends, but I suspect that if you’re reading this then the answer is probably “yes.” Contact me and let’s talk about it.
Q: Why the large down payment?
A: I only accept committed clients. This is one way I screen out those who aren’t ready to make the necessary investment, not just financially, but in terms of time and effort.
Q: Do I understand correctly that you’re going to write articles about me and publish them under your name?
A: No, the 10 articles you are going to get into will be under either your name or someone else’s, but not mine. To publish articles about clients of mine would violate journalistic standards and my agreements with the publications I write for. Instead, you and I will team up to pitch other writers.
Q: How can you guarantee that I’ll get into a contributor position at Forbes or a similar publication?
A: Because I’ve helped many others to do it already, but let’s be clear–I’m not going to deliver it to you on a silver platter, but I will guide you through the process every step of the way until you succeed.
Q: What do my fees cover?
A: Everything, within reason. Me, your account manager, photography, web design, PR, social media management, and more. If you want a full time videographer to follow you around and document your every move, we can provide that, but it will be a bit extra.
Q: Can I buy influencer services without the coaching?
A: Yes. My company Influencer Inc offers a-la-carte services like social media management, podcast editing, speaker demo video creation, and more. Contact me and I’ll get you connected.
Q: The more I look at everything you’re providing, the more I feel like your fees almost seem low. What gives?
A: They may be going up soon so don’t you worry…unless you’re thinking of waiting to sign up.
Q: Is this coaching all you do?
A: No, my day job is running my agency, MWI. We have offices in the U.S., the UK, Hong Kong, and China, and we’re expanding to other markets like Singapore. I’ve been running this agency since I founded it in 1999. I’ve worked with several hundred clients from startups to multi-billion dollar enterprises. I’m a real entrepreneur, not one of these guys who rents a Lamborghini to take photos with it and then tells you that you can become and influencer and get rich in three months.
Q: How do you have time for coaching and running a business?
A: I have amazing people who help me with everything I do.